Monday, January 18, 2010

The Beginning of Hungry Girl Weekends

In the spirt of making New Year's resolutions, I resolved to lose the weight that I gained after my surgery to remove Endometrial tumors 4 years ago.  I used to be a size 8 and I would workout at the gym 5 days a week.  I was in the best shape of my life.  But once I discovered I had Endometriosis, I used that as an excuse to stop going to the gym.  I have had a few tumors burst on me and I convinced myself that if I worked out full throttle like I used to, I would pop more but in the middle of the gym instead of in the comfort of my own home. 

So here I am four years later, a size 12 and 35 pounds heavier.  I didn't recognize the person I saw in the mirror anymore.  And when my best friend announced at Christmas Eve dinner that she was down 40 pounds and a size 6-8 (after having a baby 6 months ago), I realized it was time to get healthy again.

For Christmas, my parents bought me the Wii console and the Wii Fit--my new in-home gym.  They also bought me the Hungry Girl recipe cards.  I already had the 2 Hungry Girl cookbooks.  So now I had no excuse anymore.

On January 6th, I started my Wii Fit/Hungry Girl weightloss plan.  I created my Mii and did my first body test.  The balance board said "Oh My" when I stepped on.  Then it proceded to tell me I was overweight and hoe much weight I would need to lose to reach a normal, healthy BMI.  I had a BMI of 28, anything over 25 is considered to be overweight.  So I set my goals and started my first workout session with Hula Hoops, Step Aerobics, Balancing Penguins and Yoga.

The great thing about the Wii is that it has an activity log, step log, and waist size log so you can monitor your progress.  I pulled out my pedometer and I wear it daily so I can keep track of my daily step count.  (It's really hard to do 10,000 steps a day).  I also fill out the activity log every night so I can see how many calories I have burned.  I also bought myself little pocket notebooks so I can write down my daily caloric intake so I can make sure I burn off more than I eat.

I told Diana what I was doing and she wanted to join in.  We decided that we would make every weekend a Hungry Girl weekend--trying out different recipes in the Hungry Girl cookbooks.  I have also been trying recipes during the week.  My mom and sister wanted us to keep track of the recipes we were trying and what we thought about them.  So since I have been into blogging lately, I decided to create a blog about out Hungry Girl weekends and the recipes that we try (Julie & Julia but without all the calories and fat).  So feel free to follow if you want to keep up with our Hungry Girl weekends.

If you need motivation then let me tell you this.  After 10 days of doing Hungry Girl recipes and using my Wii Fit, I am down 6 pounds.  By the way, I am in no way shape or form associated with the Hungry Girl franchise.  I just like their recipes, I subscribe to their newsletters, and I really really want to lose weight without starving myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment