Tuesday, January 19, 2010

First experience with Tofu Shirataki Noodles

Tonight I decided to try a Hungry Girl recipe that appeals to my Italian roots--Fettuccine Hungry Girlfredo (Hungry Girl, Pg. 257).  This recipe calls for the use of Tofu Shirataki.  You can find this is the tofu section of the grocery store.  I have to admit I was a little put off when I saw it in a bag filled with liquid.  It looked alien but since I have liked all of the other Hungry Girl ingredients, I tried to keep an open mind.

So I followed the directions by opening the package and pouring the contents into a strainer.  It said to wash thoroughly to get the smell out--that was not appealing.  Then I reminded myself that I do the same thing to Saurkraut.  So I continued.  Then you put the noodles into a microwave safe bowl and cook for one minute.  Then you pour out the access water and dry the remaining noodles by patting them.  It said to dry thoroughly.  I used paper towels and it seemed never ending, trying to get them "thoroughly" dry.  Then I figured it might be ok to leave them slightly damp.

I added in the remaining ingredients and popped it in the microwave.  Aside from the drying of the noodles, it is very easy to make.

However, I felt the taste was bland and the noodles were a strange texture.  Maybe you really do have to make sure the noodles are completely dry.  I'm not really sure.  I added in a little bit of garlic salt for flavor but it was still missing something that I haven't figured out yet. 

Unfortunately I didn't get to eat too much of the Fettuccine.  I got a phone call and set my bowl on my couch to answer the call.  My Cat was on the top of the couch, leaning down to sniff the contents of the bowl when she lost her balance and landed butt first in my bowl.  Since I don't find Cat Ass fettuccine appealing, I had to throw away the contents and settle for cereal for dinner.  So I will have to try the Tofu Shirataki again.  As of right now, I am not impressed but I'll keep an open mind for other recipes.

1 comment: